Comments From the Peanut Gallery
Wednesday, January 21, 2004
 
Unbelieveable!!!
Got this link in a message post from a writing group I belong to. You've got to SEE it to believe it!

Yes! I want to work for peanuts!(www.webmasterlabor.com/rates.html)

While you're there, check out the testimonials from "satisfied customers": Of course I'm satisfied! I paid $2.00 for a press release!"

Can you believe those rates? A 1200 word article for $22? That's insane! Now, I know that there are many writers out there that write for free -- I still do it for causes that I am passionate about. But those rates are horrible. Not to mention, you aren't writing those articles for your OWN portfolio, you are writing them FOR OTHER PROFESSIONALS!!!

So, not only am I making peanuts (more like the shell and peanut casing, really), but I can't even take the credit for the work.

No way. Not in a million years.

You hear a lot of professional writers complain that they don't make the money they THINK they should make, and that writers who write for free are the cause. Nuh uh. It's writers that consistently work for peanuts that hold the value back. As I said previously, I have no problem with a writer giving away work, but I DO have a problem with writes who continously undervalue the skill. Now, this is different from, say the new professional writer that is just beginning to collect paid clips. But again, as I said before, this work isn't yours. You are writing for other people, therefore, you can't even claim it for your portfolio. So what is the point?

A site like that would never be able to exist if there weren't writers who were willing to work for practically nothing. Sad. Really sad. If you are going to write for free, then write for free. But don't put in the work and effort for pennies on the dollar and then call yourself a professional writer.

I know that this post will bring about comments, both positive and negative. All I can say to that it, bring it.
Okay, tell me how you REALLY feel!-[ comments.]

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Powered by Blogger